Amber Teething Necklace Review
Baby teething has a lot of myths surrounding it, coupled with the number of toddlers that you will see with Baltic amber teething necklaces, you will understand that parents would like to sooth some of the teething symptoms such as fever and diarrhea. I review the concerns of many parents on whether these necklaces really work as demonstrated by growing praises heaped on them from hundreds of websites, blogs and forums. If you are a parent or just turned parent, you might have heard one or two things about Baltic Amber teething necklaces and you probably want to know more about this miracle that is bound to change the life of your child for the best. Below, we are going to go into details about this baby product and its transformative benefits.
I will answer the following questions regarding teething necklaces: What are they made of? What is their history? How do they work? And what are the negative effects that can be associated with them?
What is an amber teething necklace? This typical necklace but on this occasion it is not worn to enhance beauty. The amber teething necklace is a type of necklace meant to help a baby ease the discomfort of teething. Just like any other necklace bought on the street shops or jewellery shop, the Baltic amber teething necklace is worn on the neck against the infant’s skin although there are other alternatives. This indicates that the necklace is not chewed by the child or put in the mouth in order to be effective.
How Baltic Amber Works
How amber teething necklaces work can be explained based on whom you speak to. The unbelievable explanations are:
- It activates the solar plexus and root chakra
- It has both bactericidal and electrostatic properties
- Amber has powerful antioxidant that helps fight toxic free radicals
- It has a slight sedative effect
- Amber is electromagnetic and produces large amounts of organic, natural energy which protect the human body from various magnetic fields
But the most plausible explanation is that amber when worn and heated by body heat releases succinic acid which enters the body trans-dermally and acts as an analgesic. This is indeed true on one front; Baltic amber contains succinic acid(1) however there is no evidence whatsoever that amber has any analgesic effects on the body. In addition the notion that succinic acid gets absorbed through the skin is baseless since there is no evidence that succinic acid is released from amber on body contact. Also Baltic amber contains about 50-400 ppm of succinic acid and 1 mg/kg is equal to 1 ppm, a necklace weighs 1 oz = 0.028 kg and therefore contains about 1.4-11.2 mg of succinic acid (2). Such a low value in the amber in a necklace would mean that the amount of succinic acid released on contact with the body would be miniscule.
Claims about Baltic amber necklaces
On doing research for this article I came across multiple explanations of the benefits of wearing a Baltic amber necklace:
- Provides natural pain relief for babies, toddlers, and children
- Helps to ease teething pains in children as well as colic and gas and other ailments
- Reduces inflammation of the throat, ear and stomach
- Fights irritation, infections, and respiratory disease
- It boosts the immune system
- Reduces gums inflammation
- Quickens the natural healing process
- Dramatically improves the body’s immunity
- Breaks the cycle of chronic inflammation
- A completely non-invasive remedy for side effects associated with teething (lack of appetite, upset tummies, ear ache, fevers and colds)
- Antispasmodic and anti-fever
- It detoxes the body
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Treats problems in bones
- Improvement of arthritis
- Improves blood circulation
- Eases muscle pains
- Alleviates teething pain especially in babies
- Provides a calming effect on babies without necessarily using drugs
- It is a natural energizer when worn
- It is a natural pain killer
- Reduces discomfort from throat, ear and stomach infections
- Transmutes negative into positive energy
- Promotes positive thinking and attitude
- Revitalizes mind, body and soul
- Helps to relieve depression
- Supports physical healing and detoxification
- Alleviates disorders of the adrenals, liver and spleen
Should all of these claims raise a red flag before we proceed? Let’s wait a minute until we go through scientific evidence.
A journal search at both PubMed and MEDLINE finds zero research on the benefits or any other information on amber teething necklaces for infant teething. The closest you could come a scientific study on amber is a study a study on succinic acid published in 1987 in the Russian Journal Farmakologiia i toksikologiia which analyzed the and demonstrated the anti-inflammatory potential in 44 different types of succinic acids.
As far as the scientific evidence goes by we can summarize it as:
- Baltic amber contains succinic acid (3).
- Baltic amber does not release succinic acid at body temperatures as Succinic acid melts at 187 °C but it’s moderately soluble in water which means it can be dissolved in body sweat.
- Succinic acid is a naturally occurring compound and can be found in our bodies and foods and is generally considered safe and in some instances it is used in food additives (4)
- There is no evidence of its analgesic effects on the human body (5)
- There is no evidence that succinic acid can be used to treat pain from the external of the human body (6).
Baltic amber necklaces have been bought by millions of mothers all over the world with often repeat customers. is the above evidence conclusive that amber necklaces should not be used as baby teething relievers? That is for you to decide. However should you decide to buy one for your baby and test the finding for yourself below are some few pointers you should put in mind as you buy a Baltic amber necklace.
7 Things To Consider Before Buying an Amber Teething Necklace
Natural Baltic amber has created a buzz over its amazing ability as a pain reliever and immune system booster for both adults and children. The Baltic amber’s most exciting application is used as a pain relief during teething of a child which is its most startling quality. Due to this property of reducing pain in young ones, amber teething necklaces have become favourites among parents in America, Europe and Asia since the necklaces have turned their sleepless nights with their children into bearable nights where they can now have enough good sleep. The Baltic amber teething necklaces are now recommended worldwide by parents as replacements for pain medicine. You should follow the steps below when you want to purchase an amber teething necklace:
- When going out to shop for your baby’s amber teething necklace, you should try to get one from reliable vendors who you can trust. It is good to be certain that you are being sold a real amber necklace – with amber that is over 45 million years old – and not an inexpensive replica product
- Make sure that you are purchasing an Amber Teething Necklace for Babies from the Baltic region, since the Baltic region has some of the highest concentrations of a natural ingredient which is found only in very small quantities in plant and animal tissues. This is important because this active ingredient is what creates the healing and pain relieving properties found in amber.
- Avoid discounted prices since any genuine Baltic amber is very precious indeed, this is an advertising strategy to coax you into buying some fake Baltic amber. This is a slowly disappearing precious material that can never be created by nature in the same way and if you think of the maturation process for amber and the fact that it took 45 million years to wash up on the shores of the Baltic Sea, there is no way you can believe it can be discounted.
- With real and genuine amber, there is always a big difference. The process that is used to carefully mine amber from the Sea takes several days as does the process of taking raw amber and converting it to beautifully refined amber gems from which the artisans will create baby’s and children’s teething necklaces. Amber craftsmen take even a greater time and patience in carefully polishing the stones to ensure they are comfortable on the skin when they are strung together. This creates a huge difference between the fake and the real Amber.
- It is good that you look out for softly rounded amber beads that will lie gently and comfortably against the baby’s skin. This will avoid your baby getting any injuries and will allow maximum contact for the best performance of natural amber’s homeopathic properties.
- Genuine Baltic Amber teething necklaces should cost at least $15 to $30 per necklace and the more well-rounded the amber beads are, the more costly. You should never go for a poor quality necklace just because of the price. The effects of good quality amber necklace will surprise you.
- The Baltic amber teething necklace should be worn on the neck and not chewed by the child. There should be strict supervision on the child to avoid this and whenever the child goes to bed, the necklace should be removed.